Sunday, May 4, 2008

Zell Am See



Today I get to see my sister for the first time in almost 2 years!! We woke up in Innsbruck and caught the 1130 train to Zell am See. The train ride seemed long even though it was one of the shortest we'd had in awhile. We arrived at 1330 and found my sister and her husband waiting at the station for us. From there we took off to the largest ice cave in the world called the Eisriesenwelt. We passed a really big castle on the way and stopped for pictures but there are quite a few castles in Austria. We then rode a tram up to the caves. They were nothing like we expected, the ice formations were amazing and the cave was huge. One of the ice caverns went on for 41km(about 25mi.). The temperature in the cave was only about 32 degrees farenheit but it didn't actually feel that cold because of the 1400 steps and 1000 vertical feet involved! The views were amazing from the entrance of the cave and the best part of it all was coming back to my sister's house for a nice home cooked meal. A great day! Tomorrow we head out for Slovenia to go camping and then to Croatia after that. I won't be around a computer for awhile so it my be a little bit before I can update the blog so untill then, arivaderci.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you two are moving at the speed of light over there. Sounds like it is one terrific sight after another. We are living vicariously through you and remembering when we did a similar trip at your ages.

I was in Chicago this weekend for a girls trip. We stayed in a beautiful hotel downtown and visited museums , ate and shopped. You know the drill. Dad and I then went up to see Dean for dinner Sunday evening. He is finishing finals this week.
love Mom/Tena

luv2hikejulie said...

Hey it was great to talk with you and Cheryl last yesterday. Funny story about the grill. Hope you enjoy your time with Kristen and Clayton. Sounds like you are having a great time. Let us know how the camping goes. Will send you some more pictures of bandito to your email.

Jules

Taysha said...

Hey RJ and Cheryl -

Hope the trip is slendiferious, is that word? Did I spell it right? I'm not sure...anyways, sounds like things are fan-freakin-tastic....tell Kristen I said hi, and Clayton...mmmm...hi too I guess. jk. But ya, hope you guys are having a blast. Mom says that your dog is tearing down her house. Good job, i'll check to see if the great bandito is still alive! Love ya! Bird skeets....

luv2hikejulie said...

Bandit found a hole in the fence last night and was running the neighborhood when your mom and I went to eat with Taysha. Some lady picked him up and took him to her house. Your mom just bought a dog tag for him with her number on it. thank goodness because they would have been calling your number. Anyway we went and picked him up and fixed the dog collar because he had gotten the battery wet which is why it didn't work. I fixed (temp) the hole in the fence that was created and were good now. Your mom is meeting me in Moab on Friday and we will be hiking to the Delicate Arch with the dogs on Friday and car camping then backpacking in to Negro Bills Canyon on Saturday. Will post some pictures for ya. Hope you are having a great time.

luv2hikejulie said...

Cool pics of Barcis. It looks completely different in the Spring time than it did in December. How'd you like driving across that crazy foot bridge. I can't believe people drive over it let alone it being the only reasonable way into Barcis from Aviano.
By the way you haven't mentioned anything about the various toilet types you've seen. Aren't they fascinating.
Jules

Mom said...

Hey,
The pictures are wonderful they bring back memories. I have the four of you on my desktop at work now thanks. Everything is a stir here surprise. Bandit was searching hard for you last night but I am glad I had my number put on it. It was a nice dinner with Taysha we discussed all the great benefits she gets at the paper. Can't wait to see the pictures of Crocia. Give kristn and Clayton hugs for me since I can't for a few more months. Today is nurses day so I came in to a rose on my desk and presents. The management is bringing us lunch. Painting bathrooms tonight. The hose is looking good!
love you
Mom

Mom said...

Great Day Today!!
I recieved RN preceptor of the year today!! My fellow nurses nominated me with glowing words and the management gave me the award. Hope you all are having a great time. Miss you. Oh iw ill send pictures on Clayton's email since I know he checks it.
Love ya,
Mom