Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rome, Italy

Back to Rome we went and this time we knew exactly where and how we were getting to Vactian City. So it made the start a lot easier than most of the times when we get off the train, because sometimes they like to hide the information centers. All we can say is "that's Italy, nothing makes sense." Once we got to Vatican City we decided to go St. Peter's Basilica first and then to the museum. I didn't realize that Vatican City really is it's own little city. It was different walking around to the entrance because we were next to this gaint wall that was at a vertical angle upwards. From the outside it looked pretty bland, but once we went inside the square, it opened up and there was tons of sculptures everywhere. It was shaped in a circle, with big pillars, two big water fountains, and tons of people. We took a few pictures and then jumped in line. The line went fairly fast and before we knew it we were in this huge, gorgeous chruch. There was so much to look at, that I felt like I couldn't get it all in. All I wanted to do was video tape everything, so that I could keep looking at it over and over again. Everything was so detailed, colorful, and just amazing, that words almost can't even describe. I could look at the church for days and probably not see everything. After seeing everything we thought we could, we decided to move on to the museum. Once we got out of St. Peters Basilica we couldn't beleive all the people outside in line; therefore, we were afraid that the line to the museum, was going to be just as bad. But luck still stays on our side, we went right in, and started in the courtyard to the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. As we started, we went from room to room, with different types of art in each one. Every ceiling was painted differently, and very colorful. Some of the rooms had sculptures, old painted maps, huge rugs (that looked like a picture on them), paintings, etc. We were in awe the whole time. It felt like hours before we even made it to the chapel, and by that time we couldn't even imagine what it looked like after seeing everything we had just looked at. Both of our necks started hurting because of looking up and around at everything. By the time we got there, I was at loss for words. I have never seen anything so beautiful and amazing in my life. Everywhere I looked there was something that I didn't see the first time, and everything was so colorful. I couldn't believe that one guy painted it all, and that everything looked so real. Like it was coming out, almost that if you touched it, it would feel real. We decided to sit down and look and everything, from both sides, so that we could try to catpure everything. Once we felt like we couldn't look up anymore, we decided to go the Pantheon. The outside of the Pantheon was cool to look at; however, once we went inside we didn't even know if we wanted to take a picture. After leaving the Sixteenth Chapel and then going there, it made the Pantheon not worth looking at. It was a little dull inside and not up to our expectations from the last place. Overall, the day was great, and I would do it again if I could. Going to the Vatiacan City, so far has been one of the best places ever. After the long day, we got on the train to go back to the camp site and made ourselves some peanut butter and banana sandwiches mmmm. Tommorrow we are going to go to Pisa, just for a quick stop.

2 comments:

Mom said...

In between tiling we keep coming down to check for updates. Keep em' coming. It is all very interesting reading after sitting at Mesa State graduation. (Brian's oh Taryn too ((associates degree for Taryn)) We are heading out hope to read more soon.

Love mom

luv2hikejulie said...

Hey,,whoooowho...I'm so happy that I've stopped the tremors and am in overload. Tremors from blog withdrawl. Sounds like you guys really like Rome. We guessed that Cheryl wrote the last Rome blog...because it had a different flavor of perspective. Keep enjoying yourselves.

Jules